Have you played Draw A Stickman? If not, stop reading and give it a try! How ridiculously fun and cute (and free)! AND, what a great way to facilitate a little speech and language practice!
First, draw a stickman….
Now, illustrate and narrate your story!
I won’t include any more pictures – partially because I don’t want to fully reveal my woeful lack of artistic skills, but mostly so I don’t spoil the fun for you!
Here are some ideas to draw out some language!
- Ask your child what is happening. Model or shape responses as needed.
- Model or have your child narrate his steps as he is drawing. “First, I am drawing a head. Now I need a body and arms.”
- Make predictions. “What do you think will happen next?”
- Empathize. “How do you think the stickman feels?”
- Tell the whole story from beginning to end making sure to sequence the events.
- Use it as a reinforcer.
- Customize your ending by using the option on the main menu screen.
- Look through the gallery and discuss the other pictures.